Friday, January 06, 2012

Comic Cuts - 6 January 2012

This is the first Comic Cuts column written in 2012, so Happy New Year to you all. I hope you survived Christmas and aren't feeling too partied out as I have an annoucement to make. Finally, after months of working on it, I've finished the Pages from History book. All 172 pages of it.

I managed to complete the layouts on Tuesday and then had the joyful (?) task of writing over 100 captions to give some context to the extensive gallery of illustrations — all, I should add, taken from original artwork. By the time you read this I will have sent off the book to have a proof copy printed — pricey, but always worth it to make sure everything prints the way it needs to. Once I've received that, I will make an official announcement about pricing, postage and when the book will be available. You will be able to pre-order copies over on the Bear Alley Books website, although I'll not begin taking orders until I'm happy with the proof.

If all goes to plan, I should have the proof back in a week or two, and the book should be on sale in about a month's time.

Today's random scans: four from Oliver Brabbins, who made his name working for Corgi in the 1950s and produced some startling covers. I especially like his use of vivid colours.

 
 
I have a couple of features on Alice Maud Meadows and Andrew Garve lined up for the weekend. Something I've rather let slide is the regular recent releases and upcoming releases columns. Hopefully I'll get them updated and reposted early next week.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Steve

    After seeing its cover here, on a whim I bought a copy of Prey For Me. It's a most enjoyable piece of hard boiled literature (and published, in the Corgi paperback I bought the same year I was born) so thanks for directing me to something enjoyable.

    David Simpson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi David,

    Glad to have pointed you in the direction of a good book. I'm sure I've read something by Dewey. I'll have to have a dig around the shelves.

    ReplyDelete

BEAR ALLEY BOOKS

BEAR ALLEY BOOKS
Click on the above pic to visit our sister site Bear Alley Books